If you’re looking to feed your guests during your Cinco de Mayo celebration or during any occasion, bring all the flavors and textures to this classic and delicious tortilla soup by adding some simmering chicken tenders with some creamy avocado, crunchy tortilla chips, and shredded cheese.
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 packages of chicken tenders, 1 ½ to 2 pounds
- 1 tablespoon of coriander, a palm full
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme leaves, 5 to 6 springs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
- One 28-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 quart of chicken stock
- 1 bag of white corn tortilla chips
- 1 cup of shredded pepper jack or white cheddar cheese
- 1 diced avocado
- 1 lime.
- 4 chopped scallions
1. Heat a large skillet with extra-virgin olive oil to the pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add the chicken to brown for 4 minutes.
3. Add the coriander, thyme, salt and pepper to taste, onions, bell pepper and jalapeno and stir frequently for 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes and stock.
5. While the soup is working, lightly crush some tortilla chips and separate them among 4 bowls.
6. Top the chips with some cheese.
7. Toss the avocado with lime juice
8. Top the chips with ladles of soup
Nothing more tasty and warmer than a great bowl of chicken fajita soup that will leave you craving for another round of soup.
Enjoy and get the party started!